Service Animals in Laboratories

University of Utah Staff are required to have an accommodation in place with the Office of Employment Opportunity before bringing a service animal on campus.  Contact OEO at 801-581-8365.

In general, Service Animals are not allowed in laboratories.  The presence of a service animal has the potential to introduce organisms detrimental to experiments in the laboratory.  Chemicals or organisms used in the laboratory may be harmful to the animal.  Research conducted with animal subjects may be compromised by the presence of a service animal.

A staff member and their service animal partner with an accommodation in place with OEO may be granted access to a laboratory space on a case-by-case basis upon review and approval by OEHS and the Principal Investigator.  A request for a service animal in laboratories working with pathogenic microorganisms or materials requiring containment at Biosafety Level 2 or higher, working with radioactive materials, or working with or housing research animals must also be approved by the University of Utah Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), the Radiation Safety Office (RSO), or the Office of Comparative Medicine (OCM), respectively.

Contact OEHS at 801-581-6590 and ask to speak with the Research Safety Manager to request a review.