The following instructions apply to campus operations.
- Natural cut trees are not permitted by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
- Artificial trees are permitted in areas that do not block exits, exit signs or other emergency equipment
- Artificial trees must be flame resistant or flame retardant. Electrical wiring used on artificial trees shall be UL listed.
- Decorative lights must have a UL listing tag attached.
- Extension cord wiring may not be placed across doorways, under carpets, in walkways or exit paths. Do not use zip cords, instead use a multiple outlet power strip with an internal circuit breaker.
- Lights must be unplugged when the office closes in the evening or when the building or office is unoccupied.
- All decorations must be made of noncombustible material or treated with a flame retardant. Decorations that are treated must have a label attached by the vendor.
- Decorations may not obstruct an exit, exit sign, door, fire extinguisher, fire alarm pull station, smoke detector, heat detector or sprinkler head.
- Decorative candles are not permitted at any time on campus.
If departmental celebrations include food, please consult the campus food safety guide as you plan your menus. Please don’t schedule or allow pot luck meals on campus.
Your support of these few guidelines will make for a safer, healthier holiday season. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 801-581-6590.
Have a safe and happy holiday season from the entire staff of Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety!